Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Twist Dress



One of the biggest trends in weddings is transforming the look of a dress from ceremony to reception. Many brides are also opting to allow their bridesmaids to wear different dress styles. I discovered the “twist dress” by Dessy Group via a Facebook ad. As soon as I changed my relationship status from “In a Relationship” to “Engaged,” the right side of my Facebook profile blew up with wedding-related ads. A majority of the ads are not applicable to me, but I was intrigued by this ad after seeing twist dresses on David Tutera’s My Fair Wedding. Among changes to the ceremony and reception, Tutera frequently changes both the bride’s and the bridesmaids’ dresses. In several recent episodes, Tutera has opted for different versions of the twist dress.

I know a lot of brides say they want their bridesmaids to purchase dresses that they can wear again, but let’s be honest, how many of those dresses do we ever take back out of the closet? Depending on the number of weddings you’ve been in, it starts to look a little like Katherine Heigl’s closet in 27 Dresses. The twist dress is one of the few bridesmaid styles I have seen where I can truly picture someone wearing the dress on multiple occasions. The dress can be twisted into an elegant, ceremony-worthy style, but quickly transformed into a fun party/reception look. The jersey material and a more relaxed, fun twist allows this dress to double for date nights and other less formal affairs. Watch the video below to see some of the twistable styles.


The twist dress from Dessy Group comes in both full and cocktail lengths, allowing the bride to achieve different looks based on the theme and location of her wedding. I really like the cocktail-length version, because I can see this style worn after a wedding more so than the full-length version of the dress. I am definitely considering the twist dress as a possibility for my bridesmaids, but I’m not sure which style would coincide best with the overall look and feel I want to achieve.

The twist dress is available in 22 different colors in a washable matte jersey fabric. Based on the color swatches, a bride would almost certainly be able to find an approriate shade (I personally prefer the “concord” shade). There are a couple downsides to this dress, however. I’m not sure if any bridal boutiques offer this dress or similar styles in their stores. It would be difficult to decide on a bridesmaid dress without allowing your bridesmaids to try it on first. The different twistable options don’t necessarily guarantee that the dress will be flattering to all body types. The dress sizes also range from XS (0-4) to 2X (26-28), but a size 0 and a size 4 are two very different sizes. As far as dresses are concerned, I prefer to get a customized size based on my exact measurements.

If you're like me, and you're not sure if the twist dress is for you, you can purchase a sample-on-loan dress for $35 (either cocktail or full-length) in your color choice. However, the sample must be sent back within 48 hours with the pre-paid shipping label.

No comments:

Post a Comment