Thursday, April 14, 2011

Flowers: Hydrangeas and Anemones


My sister's hydrangea wedding bouquet

So, I'm not really at the point where I need to choose my flowers, but it's been really fun entertaining different ideas over the past few months. I don't consider myself very traditional, so I know roses just aren't the right flower for me. There's a home near my parents' house that always has the most beautiful, bright blue hydrangeas in their front yard during the summer, and since my sister's wedding in July 2009, I have really liked the idea of hydrangeas in bridal bouquets.

Hydrangea centerpieces

The hydrangea is a relatively simple flower with dozens of compact blooms in a naturally rounded cluster on each stem. The groupings of the bloom clusters make for a very full, well-rounded bouquet. The clusters of bloom usually range in size from two to three inches across, and larger variations of the flower can grow upwards of six to seven inches across. The individual blossoms are symmetrical and resemble a rounded star shape. In addition, hydrangeas have a lovely, light smell that won't overpower you or your guests on the big day. The best thing about hydrangeas? They bloom in a wide range of colors and are at their peak beginning in early spring into the early months of fall, making them suitable for a wide range of color palettes and weddings that range from April to late September.

Black-and-white anemone bouquet

After watching an episode of David Tutera's My Fair Wedding, I have also come to love the anemone, especially the black-and-white variation. In folklore, the anemone supposedly signifies anticipation, so what better flower to accompany you down the aisle? Like hydrangeas, anemones are also in season for several months. You can purchase anemones through your florist usually any time between November and June.



No comments:

Post a Comment