Thursday, March 24, 2011

Viva la Vino!

A May Term trip to Sicily in 2009 has made me particularly affectionate of wine. Having a glass or two of fine Italian wine every day with each meal might have caused this. While traveling the island, I purchased a bottle of wine (or two!) at each major city in the hopes of finding that perfect bottle to take home with me. In Syracuse, our first stop on the island, I purchased a bottle of Corvo Glicine Bianco.
After travelling the island for two weeks and visiting Milan, I decided to purchase another bottle of Glicine, which had quickly become my favorite. I'm not a big fan of red wines, since it is difficult to find one that isn't too dry, so I gravitated toward the white wines and dessert wines. In the sea-side city of Sciacca, I purchased a bottle of Florio Grecale Moscato -- another favorite. This moscato is very different from most moscatos purchased in the states. It is more orange in color than the typical white or yellow and is much sweeter than its American counterpart.


All together, my suitcase was laden with five bottles of Sicilian wine by the time I got back home (and a few bottles of Sicilian olive oil). Because the Corvo Glicine Bianco was my absolute favorite, I could not bring myself to drink it once I was back in the states. So, over two years later, it was still sitting on my kitchen shelf. I vowed not to open it until I got engaged and truly had a reason to celebrate. Soon after our engagement, Alex and I enjoyed my last bottle of Sicilian wine. It is best served while it is still young, but the extra two years didn't hurt at all! Delicious!

So, instead of importing my favorite Italian wines, I will serve my wedding guests a selection of wines made right here in Iowa! I have recently become obsessed with Stone Cliff Winery in Dubuque.


Stone Cliff offers many traditional varieties, such as cabernet savignon, chardonnay, riesling and white zinfadel. Instead of these more obvious choices, my guests will be tasting more exciting flavors.

The couple's wine of choice: Purple Cow
(to coincide with our wedding color and
complement the Heartland Acres venue)
"Welch's with a kick"
Concord grape flavors served chillled as a dessert wine.

The toasting wine: American Moscato
A pale gold wine, sweet but light with amazing aromas of
citrus, pear and apricot.

Sweet Cherry Wine
"Cherry pie in a bottle"
Made from Door County cherries.

Late Harvest Sweet Apple
Made with apples from the local Czipars orchard in Dubuque, IA.
This sweet apple wine has a smooth finish with a light hint of spice.
Enjoy this wine hot with a cinnamon stick or cold for sipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment